Given to the University of Kentucky by the class of 1996, Historical Marker #2012 commemorates the Gillis Building. This building was erected in 1889 as UK's first Agricultural Experiment Station but was destroyed in a fire in 1891. The current building was rebuilt on the same site and is the second oldest building on campus. It was home to the chemistry department (1905) and the College of Law (1925). In 1939, it became the student health services and infirmary, providing medical services for students. Beginning in 1962, it housed the office of admissions (1962-86) and the Registrar (1962-91). It was long known as the Chemistry Building and later the Administration Annex. It now houses the Graduate School offices.
In 1978 it was named for Ezra Gillis (1867-1958), who joined the UK faculty in 1907 and served as the first registrar from 1910 until he retired in 1937.
The UK Senior Challenge Historical Marker Project, administered by the Kentucky Historical Society, began in 1994 as a way for the graduating senior class to leave a memorial to the university. Every year since then, the UK historical marker committee has decided on the topic, raised the money, and written the text for the markers.