Solomon Brandenburg

Historical Marker #1652 in Meade County recognizes Solomon Brandenburg, an 1812 veteran for whom the town of Brandenburg is named.

An early settler to present-day Meade County, in 1804, Brandenburg purchased 3,000 acres on the Ohio River. There, he built and operated a tavern that was visited by Aaron Burr, J. J. Audubon, and other notables. The tavern reputedly served as a courthouse, school, and a hotel.

Brandenburg was also a land speculator and ran a ferry across the river to Harrison County, Indiana. In 1825, the settlement that grew up there around Brandenburg's tavern was made the county seat, and, in 1872, the prosperous port was named Brandenburg in his honor.

During the War of 1812, Brandenburg was a company captain in the Third Regiment, Kentucky Detached Militia. Although his wartime service was limited, Solomon played a large role in bringing success to the town that bears his name.