Historical Marker #2323 in Fort Thomas remembers the founding and history of Highland United Methodist Church, the oldest church congregation in this Campbell County community.
The first services of the Highland United Methodist Church were held in 1830 at Mount Pleasant, the home of the William Taliaferro family. After Taliaferro built Mount Pleasant School in 1832, services were moved from the family home to the log schoolhouse. In the early 1850s, Methodists and Baptists came together to construct a modest frame church building with a steeple and bell tower. The church was located on the Taliaferro's land near the corner of North Fort Thomas Avenue and Bellaire Place. In 1900, a new church was built by Henry Schriver, architect of the Fort Thomas military post, for $15,000. With the completion of the new building, the old wooden church was converted into a house. When Highlands High School was rebuilt after a fire in 1962, students had classes in various buildings throughout the town, including the church.
Highland United Methodist Church has remained an important part of the Fort Thomas community since its humble beginnings in the Taliaferro home. The congregation continues to serve the spiritual and educational needs of its members today and reaches out globally with a number of mission initiatives.