Historical Marker #1843 marks the former site of Thruston Elementary School. It was named in honor of Algernon Sidney Thruston.
Born in Jefferson County in 1801, Thruston was nine months old when his father died. His inheritance, two hundred acres on Clear Creek in Shelby County, five hundred acres in Union County, and 950 acres in both Ohio and Daviess counties, appears to have been either transferred to his brother Charles or was sold completely by 1825. Although he lived intermittently in Louisville until 1835, shortly thereafter he moved to Texas.
While in Texas, Thruston served as a colonel in the Texas Revolution. During his time there, Thruston and his wife lived through the Revolution (1836), the Republic (1836-1845), statehood (1845), and the Mexican War (1846-1848). He served as the Commissary General of Purchases in 1837 and Quartermaster General in 1838. There, he worked closely with Texas President Sam Houston. As the Commissary General of Purchases it was Thruston’s responsibility to oversee provisions and other necessities needed for the army. Indeed, in a March 1837 letter from Houston to Thruston, Houston implored the colonel to forward supplies. He wrote, “Do all that you can. Run in debt to get supplies for the army, - do not regard expense . . .”
By 1850, Thruston and his family had moved from Texas and. By 1854, they reached Daviess County and lived on a 626-acre farm about two miles northeast of the present community of Thruston.
Both that community and the Thruston Elementary School were named in his honor.