Historical Marker #873 notes the naming of Grayson County for Colonel William Grayson, an aide to General George Washington during the Revolutionary War.
George Washington purchased five thousand acres on the southern shore of Rough River in 1788. After a number of settlers arrived to the area, Grayson County was established on January 25, 1810. William Grayson and his family lived in what is now Grayson, Carter County.
Grayson County is located in west-central Kentucky and is bordered by the Rough River on the north and the Nolin River on the southeast. During the nineteenth century, sulfur springs and resorts were established all across the state. Grayson Springs Resort was a famous and popular resort from the mid-to-late nineteenth century, until springs fell out of favor in the early 1900s. By the early twentieth century, railroads and other industries came into operation and the need for several lumber mills was developed for the industries. Mineral resources found in the area include coal which is mined in the western part of the county.
In 1924, the Walter T. Kelley Bee Hive Factory made its home in Clarkson, a small town in Grayson County. By 1990, the company had become one of the largest manufacturers of apiary equipment in the country. Today, the company’s name has changed to Kelley Beekeeping Company and is privately held. It is still active in both the local and apiary communities.