Historical Marker #1602 marks one of the oldest brick houses in Grayson County.
The transitional Greek Revival house located in Rogers Springs was built in 1847 by Benjamin Lone Rogers. Rogers was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, in 1812 to Joseph and Anny Lone Rogers. Rogers was killed in 1852, five years after construction of The Cedars began. His horse was frightened, bolted, and threw Rogers. He had fourteen children, seven from both his first wife, Nancy Wortham, and seven from his second wife, Mary McGrew. Despite the large family, he left The Cedars to his nephew, Henry Clay Rogers, Jr.
The brick house was constructed around a log cabin that dates to about 1789. The log house is believed to have been constructed by the first settlers to Grayson County, whose names are unknown, possibly because of the courthouse and records having been burned. The house was built very close to Grayson Springs and is located on the road to Grayson Springs Resort, which is a famous Kentucky sulfur springs.
The style in which The Cedars was built is a combination of Federal and Greek Revival styles. Although the façade is rather plain, it still holds elements of the Greek style in its flat stone lintels, triple window over the entrances, and its dentilated cornice. The Greek Revival style was very popular in America, and indeed throughout Europe as well. The initial interest in Greek architecture began when the British and other Europeans were able to enter Greece after the decline of the Ottoman Empire in the late eighteenth century. Fragments of monuments, statuary, and art objects were procured by archaeologists and other visitors, as well as folios containing detailed drawings of ancient Greek architecture. This style of architecture dominated American architecture during the mid-nineteenth century and can be found throughout the country.