Historical Marker #1095, located west of Springfield, commemorates St. Catharine.
In 1822, nine women from St. Rose Parish formed the first congregation of Dominican Sisters in the United States, near Cartwright Creek. The current St. Catharine Motherhouse was constructed in 1904 after a fire destroyed the original location. This building housed an academy and a residence for the Sisters until the academy closed in 1971. In 2009, the St. Catharine Dominicans joined with seven other congregations to become the Dominican Sisters of Peace.
Located on the grounds is the 700-acre St. Catharine Farm, a member of Kentucky Proud, whose 300 herd of beef cattle are non-ASH (no antibiotics, steroids, or hormones). The Heritage Room is open to visitors from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-9 p.m. daily. The Dominican Mile, a new one-mile path around St. Catharine College and the St. Catharine Motherhouse, is open for strolling and meditation.