Second Christian Church

Historical marker #2189 celebrates the Second Christian Church of Midway. 

This is believed to be the oldest black Disciples of Christ congregation in Kentucky and started in 1832. Prior to taking the name the Second Christian Church of Midway, it was known as the Midway Colored Christian Church. The first worshipers who formed the congregation hailed from the surrounding area, including New Union, Grassy Spring, and Georgetown. The church began in the early days of the community that became Midway, as the railroad that gave the town its name arrived during the 1830s as well. 

Church meetings were initially held at the Kentucky Female Orphan School, which later became Midway College. In the early years, volunteer members of the congregation led the weekly services. Soon, however, the white Chirstian Church where the Second Christian Church had gotten its start purchased Alexander Campbell for $1,000 to serve as preacher to the black congregation. The church flourished under Campbell's direction and added hundreds of members.

In the post-Civil War era, Second Christian continued to play vital roles in the local black community, including serving as a school. However, this role brought unwanted attention from reactionary whites determined to uphold the racial status quo and the subordination of black Kentuckians. In the middle of the night on July 31, 1868, whites attacked and burned the original wood structure that housed the Second Christian congregation. The congregants rebuilt with a new log structure, which was ultimately replaced by the present brick building in 1906.

The marker reads:

Second Christian Church

Early African American Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation established before the Civil War. While still a slave, Alexander Campbell served as first pastor. A log building on property of the Kentucky Female Orphan School was replaced by a frame church, c.1872. Present brick church completed in 1906. Presented by Second Christian Church, Midway.

The marker was dedicated on September 24, 2005.