Dr. Carl Clifford Howard

Local Humanitarian

Historical marker #1503 in Summer Shade (Metcalfe County), Kentucky, discusses the accomplishments and medical advancements made by Dr. Carl Clifford Howard, a doctor who helped fight tuberculosis in the 20th century.

Dr. Howard was born in Summer Shade in 1888. Following in his father’s footsteps, he graduated from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 1911. The following year, he began practicing medicine in Glasgow, serving the people in that area and throughout the state for nearly 60 years.

Dr. Howard established Glasgow’s first private hospital, Maplewood Infirmary, in 1914. He brought in the first X-ray equipment in 1916 and began giving blood transfusions in the area by 1920. Dr. Howard left his practice for 18 months to serve with the American Expeditionary Forces. in Europe during World War I. When he returned, he led a team to open the T.J. Samson Hospital in Glasgow in 1929.

Dr. Howard was very passionate about the medical profession and its various professional groups. He became the president of the Kentucky Medical Association in 1934. He encouraged the passage of an act which created six regional tuberculosis hospitals in Kentucky in response to the statewide concern centering on the high mortality count of tuberculosis cases in the state.

He was also instrumental in the establishment of the Rural Kentucky Medical Scholarship Fund. The campaign for the fund was launched by the Kentucky State Medical Association and the University of Louisville Medical School. More than $150,000 was donated by public citizens to increase the number of physicians practicing primary care medicine or psychiatry on a full-time basis in critically underserved Kentucky counties. In 1947, he opened the Howard Clinic in Glasgow.

Dr. Howard received numerous awards for his service to the medical field, including the Governor’s Medal for outstanding leadership in the field of rural medicine and the Kentucky Medical Association’s first Distinguished Service Award. In 1962, he received an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the University of Louisville and the University of Louisville Award of Merit – the Minerva. He was the first person to receive both awards. At the time of his death, on June 2, 1971, he was a member of the Foundation Board of Western Kentucky University and an overseer of the University of Louisville.

The Dr. Carl Clifford Howard Oral History Project is housed at Western Kentucky’s University Special Collections Library.

This marker was dedicated in 1974. It reads:

Dr. C. C. Howard, an outstanding physician and citizen of Barren County, was born in Summer Shade, Kentucky, 1888. Began his medical career in Glasgow. He opened a private hospital there, 1914, and later helped build Glasgow's first community hospital. Dr. Howard encouraged passage of an act which created 6 regional tuberculosis hospitals in Kentucky. See over.

(Reverse) Local Humanitarian - Dr. Howard was instrumental in the establishment of Rural Kentucky Medical Scholarship Fund. Among the numerous awards he received were the Governor's Medallion for outstanding leadership in the field of rural medicine and the Kentucky Medical Association's first Distinguished Service Award. In 1947, he opened the Howard Clinic. Died, 1971. Over.

Images

Map