Glengary Field/Cool Meadow
Glengarry Field/Cool Meadow
Historical Marker #2439 in Fayette County commemorates Glengarry Field/Cool Meadow, the second airport in Lexington. With the development of larger multi-engine aircrafts and the restrictions on runway lengths, Halley Field quickly became obsolete, and a larger airport was needed.
In February 1930, the Airport Committee of the Board of Commerce leased the Glengarry Farm for a new, larger municipal airfield. The farm was located on Newtown Pike, five miles from Lexington and owned by James Blythe Anderson. It was built on the site of a Civil War Union Army encampment and skirmish. Glengarry Field was dedicated on July 12, 1935, and the name was later changed to Cool Meadow Field. It operated until the mid-1950s, when Bluegrass Field was built on US 60.
Formed in 1898 by William B. Fasig and Edward A. Tipton, Fasig-Tipton Co. is North America’s oldest Thoroughbred auction company. Its first headquarters were in Madison Square Garden (New York City) and they initially sold road-and-carriage horses as well as Thoroughbred and Standardbred racing stock.
During World War II, breeders could not freely ship yearlings across the country, so the Saratoga sale was put on hold. In 1943, Fasig-Tipton held the sale in a tent at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington. But it was not until 1972 that Fasig-Tipton established its permanent Kentucky headquarters in Lexington.
The Hettinger family, led by John Hettinger, was Fasig-Tipton’s majority shareholder after guiding the company through the industry struggles of the late 1980s. However in 2008, Synergy Investments Ltd., a Dubai-based company headed by Abdulla Al Habbai, purchased Fasig-Tipton. They have updated and modernized the sales facilities in Lexington, Saratoga, and Timmonium, Maryland, as well as increased its international profile.