Historic marker #2084 in Whitley County recounts the history of Mahan Hall on the University of the Cumberlands’ campus. Prior to 2005, the University of the Cumberlands was called Cumberland College.
In 1906, Cumberland College built Felix Hall as a men’s dormitory, later known as Mahan Hall. Sam Easley and an Italian brick mason, John Begalletti, constructed the building. The building originally held the name Felix Hall in honor of Dr. W. H. Felix. He was from Lexington, Kentucky and got elected to the college’s Board of Trustees in 1902. Dr. Felix earned a reputation in Kentucky as an active and well-spoken Baptist minter. Years prior, Felix moved from New York to Kentucky. He held many leadership positions including pastor of the First Baptist Church in Covington and board member for the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. Dr. Felix served on Cumberland College’s board until his death in 1912 from heart trouble.
In 1954, the school renamed Felix Hall to Mahan Hall. This change was in honor the service of E. C. Mahan of Knoxville, Tennessee to the institution. Cumberland College renovated the men’s residence hall in 1984. Currently, Mahan Hall houses about 115 male students. Some upperclassmen live there, but the hall mainly contains freshman male students.
This historic marker was dedicated on April 24, 2003 along with Roburn Hall, Gillespie Hall, and Clyde V. and Patricia Bennett Building. Dr. James H. Taylor, Cumberland College’s provided some remarks for the occasion.