Historical Marker #2573 in Richmond (Madison County) commemorates the Lynwood Estate that was built in 1880 for Brutus J. Clay II.
Pattie A. Fields Clay had Lynwood built for her husband in 1880 on her family’s 287-acre farm, which she inherited from her father after he died in 1867. The house is a Queen Anne style house. It has features such as an asymmetrical façade, round, square, or polygonal towers, spindle work, classical columns, and monumental chimneys among other aspects. French Canadian architect, Samuel E. des Jardins, who worked in Cincinnati from 1882 to 1916, designed the house. The Lynwood Estate is one of four homes that Jardins designed and built in Richmond.
The bricks used to construct the house were made from clay found on the property and were molded on site. An old house that was previously on the property was torn down, but the bricks were salvaged in order construct the cook’s cottage and the carriage house. Ceiling heights inside the house were as high as 16 feet on the first floor and 14 feet on the second. There were several different woods used in the house: the floors are pine, the doors are butternut, and the trim is walnut. The house has 15 rooms including five servants’ rooms on the third floor. Once the house was completed, it was largely unchanged until 1912 when Lewis N. Neale Sr. bought it. In 1921, he added the gateposts to the property from stone and bricks, which were taken from the First Presbyterian Church when it was replaced with a new building in 1920.
Pattie A. Fields Clay was born in 1848 to Christopher J. Fields and Charlotte E. Martin Fields. Her mother died a few months after birth due to continuing affects from Pattie’s birth. Her father owned two plantations in Mississippi and spent most of his time tending to those during Pattie’s youth. She was raised by her maternal grandfather and two aunts. Mr. Martin passed away in 1860. He left Pattie with a large amount of wealth in financial stocks and railroad companies. In 1867, her father died in Mississippi and left her nearly 300 acres of land just south of Richmond.
Brutus J. Clay II was born in 1847 to the famous Cassius M. Clay of White Hall and his wife Mary Jane Warfield Clay. He attended Michigan University and earned a degree in Civil Engineering. Once he returned to Richmond, Brutus owned and managed lumber mills, stone quarries, and oil businesses, among others. He also became a lawyer and a farmer while owning land in Illinois and Mississippi. In 1870, Pattie Fields issued a deed of trust to him to manage her estate.
On February 20, 1872, Pattie and Brutus were married. Together they had five children, only four of which survived to adulthood. During their life together, Pattie tended to the sick and infirm, making sure they were well taken care of and comfortable. She worked at the home of Mrs. Grayson where patients would pay a dollar a day for a bed and board. Suddenly, in 1891, Pattie became ill herself with pneumonia and on December 23, she passed away. Her family took it extremely hard and Brutus moved the family to Cincinnati, but not before he did something in memory of his wife.
In 1893, he bought a building on Glyndon Avenue, had it renovated, and then donated it to the city to be used as a public infirmary. He said he believed his wife would have survived had Richmond had such a location. They named the building the Pattie A. Clay Infirmary. The hospital had ten beds, was run by a team of all-volunteer staff, and was governed by seven women from the seven major churches in Richmond. It grew very quickly thanks to the support of the citizens of Richmond who donated money, linens, food, and clothes.
In 1927, the hospital expanded to 40 beds as well as several laboratories and operating rooms. By this time there were three doctors working in the hospital. The hospital was not changed again until 1970, when the building was torn down and a much larger and modern hospital was built next to the old hospital. It was named the Pattie A. Clay Hospital. The hospital underwent several more renovations throughout the years and became affiliated with the Jewish Hospital Health Network in 1993. More renovations followed and in 2012, Baptist Health bought the property and changed the name to Baptist Health Richmond, though longtime residents of Richmond still refer to it as Pattie A. Clay.
The marker reads:
Pattie A. Fields Clay built
“Lynwood” in 1880 for Brutus J.
Clay II, her husband, on her 287
acre farm. Samuel E. des Jardins
designed the Queen Anne style
house. Bricks were molded nearby.
Its interior contained elegant
woodwork plus other modern
features. Brick & wood materials
for the cook’s and carriage houses
came from a salvaged house on-site.
Brutus Clay II/Pattie A. Clay
Married in 1872, they had 5 children.
Brutus Clay II was a successful
businessman, farmer, and federal
emissary. Pattie A. Clay spent
much time from her youth tending
to the sick and infirm. When she
died in 1891 at age 33, he honored
her memory by donating a house on
Glyndon Avenue as a public
infirmary. The name, Pattie A.
Clay Hospital, was used until 2012.
This marker was dedicated on June 16, 2019.